[tex-live] OK to update freetype2 source in TL?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jul 12 17:41:38 CEST 2006

On 11 Jul 2006, at 11:17 pm, Karl Berry wrote:

>     So I'd suggest that we update to unmodified freetype-2.2.1
> sources,
>
> I agree.  I know you know this, but I'll say it anyway -- please try a
> Build of everything before committing, just in case :).

The 2.2.1 source is now committed, and added to the top-level
configure script. Everything built OK for me, modulo the sam2p
Makefile issue noted earlier, on both Mac OS X and Linux. (The Build
will create libfreetype.a even though nothing actually requires it
yet... this will change in the future.)

>     and add the files required to build in the tex-live context -- I
>     presume that means the existing Windows-related .mak and .rc
> files.
>
> What actually needs freetype2?

Currently nothing in the Unix TL world (but only until xetex source
is added).

>   Akira, do the Windows binaries that you
> build use freetype2?

Yes, but I believe Akira has been using a separate (up-to-date) FT
lib anyway, not the sources from TL.

>   I'm wondering if those TL-specific Windows files
> are really needed, given that freetype2 has Windows support already.

OK, I have *not* added anything Windows-specific to the new freetype2
directory, but if a need becomes apparent, we can revisit this.

JK