[tex-live] Re: ConTeXt documentation in "commercial" products

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Jan 24 18:34:18 CET 2006

� wrote:

>Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:
>

>>� wrote:
>>

>>>You are aware that the Creative Commons Deed is just a wrapper around
>>>the "real" GPL?  You didn't include it in mreadme.pdf, but on the
>>>website (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/GPL/2.0/) it says:
>>>

>>a wrapper indeed, and if users want to rad the full thing, they can
>>use their browser; i'm not going to add redundant code (read n pages
>>of licence) to manuals and source code
>>

>There's not even a link to the "full thing", so I doubt that any judge
>would accept that the GPL applies.

copied from the pdf at the web site:

We’re not going to fill n pages with legal stuff, so if you want to know
more, you have
to consult the web for the legalities mentioned. Here are a few starting
points:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/GPL/2.0/
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/GPL/2.0/legalcode
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/legalcode

to me this is as good as a reference to some article in a law or whatever

(btw, cc has a nice site and i have a weak spot for that)

>Yes, you mention this, but one cannot find out what "the whole thing"
>is.  There's a Deed for the GPL on Creative Commons' website, but also
>there, there's no version information (except in the URL, but that has
>no legal value either).  So a user cannot reliably find out which
>version was on CC's site when you wrote your text.

hm, if it means that someone always has to include the whole lot ... bad thing; in whatever law environment one can point to an article in a law, so why not with a GPL; actually, if a copy is really needed, then i need a second lifetime in order to read all instances in the software (each file) i use since one can have made a typo; lucky us that it's english and we don't have an encoding problem as well -)

If I buy something in a shop, references to whatever legal things involved are just references, actually, some of the law is implicit, so my bet is that a reference to GPL is pretty sound; if not, even if someone violates it with respect to context, i'll not seek the courtroom anyway (up to day i never saw one inside and i want to keep it that way)

I trust you guys to include a copy of the GPL someplace in the zips or media.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE