[tex-live] Question about TeX Live Installation

Manfred Lotz manfred at dante.de
Mon Feb 13 06:22:25 CET 2006

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:52:16 -0600
karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

>     FIrst, if the double layer DVD could make installation of e.g.
> TeXLive painfully slow due to data residing on different layers then
> the installation from the plain TeXLive DVD (ehich isn't double
>     layer) shouldn' be a problem. Right?
>
> I thought the idea was for a double layer DVD to make things faster by
> putting "close" files on different layers at the same position, thus
> less head movement.

I thought the idea of double layer was to double (well, not exactly but
almost) the capacity. :-)

Who should do it? putting "close" files on differnet layers at the same
position. As I said, mkisofs has no notion of layers and when burning,
e.g. using growisofs then the burner gets fed the iso image chunkwise
burning each chunk immediately after receiving it.

--
Manfred