[tex-live] Re: Re: [tug-board] Any news of DVDs ?

Zdenek Wagner wagner at cesnet.cz
Fri Feb 3 11:41:21 CET 2006

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>   > It depends on filesystem used. Some time ago I did a test on a
>   > computer with dual boot OS/2 Warp 4 + GNU Debian Linux, i.e. the
>   > same processor, the amount of RAM, physically the same HD and CD
>   > drive. I had to copy the whole CD to HD. In Linux I used cp
>   > --recursive, FS was EXT3, in OS/2 I used copy /s, FS was HPFS. In
>   > OS/2 copying took approx. 10 times longer!
>
> The file system is iso9660 in both cases.
>
> I can't imagine that HPFS is so much worse than ext3.  It might be
> worse, but certainly not 10 times worse.
>
> It is more likely that Linux supports a larger cache than OS/2.

I am afraid that this is the problem, the cache in OS/2 is too rigid. I
sent a 1.2GB file via scp to my notebook with 512 MB RAM which otherwise
did nothing and ran on batteries so that laptop mode tools optimize the
disk usage. It seems that Linux used approx. 400 MB for cache.

> Everything has to be read from the CD *once* and can then be retrieved
> from memory (RAM) many times under Linux.  Does OS/2 use all the
> unused memory for this purpose?
>
> Regards,
>   Reinhard
>
> --
> Reinhard Kotucha			              Phone: +49-511-4592165
> Marschnerstr. 25
> D-30167 Hannover	                      mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de
> Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.

Zdenek Wagner
e-mail: wagner at cesnet.cz

see also http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
         http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz