[tex-live] TL and win32

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Dec 22 17:36:34 CET 2006

  > I agree with Staszek that you have to be careful not to interfere
  > with a possible existing Ghostscript installation.

Yes, I think it is ok for the moment if the TeXLive installer installs
gs on demand only.

  > Have a look at the way MikTeX incorporates its own private copy of
  > Ghostscript: it is renamed mgs.exe, ignores environment variables
  > and registry settings and needs to get all its configuration
  > information from the command-line.

Unfortunately this is not possible at the moment because there are
some binaries made by Fabrice which are using ghostscript already.
They have to be changed if gs binaries are renamed (for instance
ps2eps.exe).  But nobody has the time to do this.

Maybe we can have a more elegant solution next year.  Then I would
replace all batch files and ps2eps to perl.  This way I can test the
Windows stuff here on Linux.  At the moment I can't help Staszek very
much.

  > And it uses fonts from the texmf tree.

I considered this already and wrote a script which produces such a
Fontmap. However, we decided not to use it because TeXLive is modular
and we can't be sure that people have the fonts installed.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25