[tex-live] win32 and Gs [was: TL and win32]

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Fri Dec 22 07:22:58 CET 2006

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> The problem is that the gs installer for win32 is broken.  It does not
> install all files properly.  Maybe the installer for gs-7.07 had been
> broken too, but Fabrice fixed all the problems.  He replaced many
> batch files by .exe files.

OK, I will follow your suggestions and I'm going to prepare the correct
Gs for TL which can be also uninstalled (e.g. I'll correct all your
.bat files as they doesn't work having LF (u*x) line endings :-)

> The question is whether Fabrice's programs are still working with
> gs-8.54.  Meanwhile the meaning of -dNOSAFER had been changed and
> a new option -dDELAYSAFER had been introduced.  I suppose that if the
> batch files provided by Ghostscript are available many problems can
> be avoided.

Sure, I need some time to check...

>   > 3. I do not remove any script (or any other part) from Gs. Again,
>   > I proposed to install it *as is* distributed (easy to uninstall by
>   > standard win32 way), so sorry, I'm not going to break anything.

> The gs installer obviously doesn't install eveything properly.  You
> break everything if you use it.

Sorry, what to do, if the user have Gs already installed?

> I hope that they have TeXLive/bin/<platform> as the first entry in
> PATH, otherwise we can't guarantee anything.

It is rather the task for TL installer and we're going to provide that.

> I think that there is a good reason for my decision to provide the
> original URW fonts instead of the broken fonts provided by
> Ghostscript.
>
> It's nice that Valek Flipov added cyrillic glyphs but that's useless
> because he didn't change /FontName and /UniqueID in the font files.
>
> The Type1 specification clearly sais that there should not be two
> fonts with the same /FontName and /UniqueID.
>
> The fonts provided by Ghostscript are completely broken.

OK, the point taken. I'll add fonts you've suggested to
support/gs854w32-tl.zip. Thanks.

>   > Sorry, my task is to make TL working, not changing Gs.
>
> The problem is that the gs installer doesn't work properly.

Hmmm, it's a pity, but this problem should go rather to Gs developers...

Thanks,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl