[tex-live] Binary names and TeXlive as the default UNIX TeX system (was: Fwd: Polish TexLive Stuff)

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Dec 19 00:29:08 CET 2006

    vendors, in particular Linux distributions and BSDs, will start
    installing it as part of the system

Yes, as you know, I am aware of this, and I am glad for the increased
interest in TL.

    But then you can no longer argue with "binaries are in a separate
    tree", since it won't be correct for these cases.

I know.  I didn't say that.  I said for "standard TL".  And that is true
and will remain true.

    I think TeXlive development should keep this in mind and try to be "a
    good citizen",

Again, of course.  Who said anything about not being a "good citizen"?
We'll all try to do what's best on a case-by-case basis.  Which is not
to say that agreement will always be possible.

In fact, one thing in this regard that I am concerned about is the
plethora of executables that are part of tex4ht, many of which have
short (and opaque) names.  I have refrained from installing them for
precisely the fear of path conflicts, but it would be nice to be able to
install everything that Eitan intends.  Can you check the listing at
rsync://tug.org/tldevsrc/Build/source/texk/tex4htk/ and see if any of
the executables have conflicts?  (Even if they don't have conflicts I'm
not sure we should install them, but it would be nice to know.)

Thanks,
karl