[tex-live] Hyphenation patterns, Unicode, XeTeX, and language.dat

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Aug 20 00:55:01 CEST 2006

    I was just wondering if there's a reason most of the pattern files
    referenced in language.dat are located in the texmf tree

Because they are single files, and the code which autogenerates the tpm
files for texmf-dist isn't set up to handle that (and it would be a pain
to do so).

At least that's what comes to mind off the top of my head.  I haven't
researched it ...

    hyphenation patterns for Cyrillic-script languages, however, are
    found in texmf-dist/tex/generic/*hyph*.

They are subdirectories.

    Would it make sense to move the entire texmf/tex/generic/hyphen
    collection over to texmf-dist?

It actually sounds desirable to me, but I believe subdirectories would
need be made at the same time, and hyphen-* and collection-lang* tpm
files have to be adjusted, etc.

(Note to self: rebuild the tpm's, I'm sure lots of discrepancies have
crept in with all the updates ...)