[tex-live] Where is the master control switch?

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Aug 1 02:19:30 CEST 2006

On Aug 1, 2006, at 00:45, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> I had been told that they can be ignored and my experience is quite
> positive.  The TL binary build obviously doesn't depend on the texmf
> trees.

It doesn't. And the runtime results also does not depend on anything in
a specific absolute location, which makes the whole TeX install
relocatable. The way to do this is to have a texmf.cnf two directories
up from the binaries. That one is always found first and there you can
set the values for locations to whatever you want.

This is how I can ship a relocatable precompiled TeX install based on
TL for Mac OS X.