[tex-live] Fwd: [OS X TeX] Changing Tex parameters (retry)

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Apr 15 21:54:45 CEST 2006

  >> sup_font_mem_size from 2.000.000 to 8.000.000, and ran
  >> "make". Then I copied the resulting pdfetex executable into
  >> /sw/bin, edited web2c/texmf.cnf to increase font_mem_size to
  >> 5.000.000, and ran

  > I don't know of any reason not to do this.  Olaf, Thomas, anyone?

All the variables which determine memory size had been increased
from time to time in tex.ch before they had been made configurable by
command-line options or variables in texmf.cnf.

Increasing the upper limits in tex.ch again and again causes extra
work.  It seems that however the limits are set, there will always be
someone who needs more memory.

Doesn't it make more sense to set all the variables which can be
controlled by texmf.cnf to the absolute maximum value (in tex.ch)
which tex can handle?

The advantage is that there will be no need to touch this particular
piece of code in tex.ch in the future anymore.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25