[tex-live] Question: windows?

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Tue Sep 27 03:02:49 CEST 2005

As I see from your .log file things went quite well. The most current
setup is better optimised, however.

> - The Install Utility window came up (looks like a nice interface)
> - I selected the scheme-medium and customized it to delete the
> languages

You would better selecting scheme-base and adding needed collections :)

>   (It appeared to install the languages even though I instructed not
> to.)

No, those deselected languages weren't finally installed and the local
language.dat was properly made (e.g. when the latex format is made, only
minimal set of hyphenation paterns are read, as can be seen from your
log).

> - I found the log file and opened it. But I can't really tell what
> (if anything) went wrong.

Now we have tlpmgui.log (not .err).

> - There has been nothing added to the Start menu.

No need for that, I think. Just insert the CD and run tlpmgui.

> The Install window utility remains on the screen.

Yes, any special "Quit" button is missing, please just click X to close
the window. We tried our best making tlpmgui as simple, as possible (but
stable). And the logic with schemes and collections is the same as with
Unix installer (tlpmgui can be easily adapted for other platforms, but for
this year is too late).

> I tried running latex etc from WinShell and WinEdt. Latex runs ok,
> so does dvips and pdflatex.

Nice to hear.

All the best,

--