[tex-live] license info in tpm file

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Mon Sep 26 13:27:39 CEST 2005

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> Hi Karl, hi Sebastian!
>
> On Son, 25 Sep 2005, Karl Berry wrote:
>> This should be done in the Catalogue, not in the TL-specific capital
>> letters.  It already is, thanks to RobinF and others, for many packages.
>
> Wow, didn't know this.

To be honest, I wouldn't put too much trust in the information in the
Catalogue.  Just having come back from vacation I don't recall which
package it was about, but we had the case this summer or spring that a
Debian user found a non-free license statement in a file, although the
Catalogue said it was free.  I asked the Catalogue admins whether they
had an explanation for the discrepancy - perhaps a mail stating the new
license - but was told that the information was from before the
Catalogue was moved to Sarovar, and they had no information *why* the
Catalogue had this license information.

We have started compiling a list at

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-tetex/tetex-base/trunk/debian/copyright?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-tetex/tetex-base/trunk/debian/Copyright.Files?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

but it is far from complete.  My hope was that whenever we touch a
particular file, we look up its and its package's license and copyright
information and put it there, but we didn't get very far...

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich