[tex-live] Re: antomega [was: Multilingual LaTeX: Greek, English, and UTF-8]

Alexej Kryukov akrioukov at newmail.ru
Fri Sep 16 10:17:12 CEST 2005

On Friday 16 September 2005 01:03, you wrote:
>      (e. g. hyphenation patterns).
>
> Ah.  Didn't we also already agree that we'd create, um,
> texmf/tex/omega/base or some such (what was it?) for the omega
> hyphenation patterns?

Yes, you have proposed this solution, and in my last reply into the
"Omega and the recent changes TDS" thread I described several possible
conventions regarding this directory with the hope that more detailed
discussion will follow.

However, remember that, if you agree to create a directory like
tex/omega, this means you are creating a compiler-specific tree
(not just a temporary storage for hyphenation patterns), i. e.
something explicitly prohibited by TDS 1.1. And of course this
directory will at least partially mirror the structure of its
top-level texmf/tex tree, as previously texmf/omega did. For
example, the following directory structure would look more or less
acceptable for me:

tex/
	omega/
		plain/
			base/
		generic/
			config/
			encodings/ (moved from tex/generic)
			hyphen/

Still there are several questions remaining:

-- what to do with the existing lambda directory (I would prefer
to turn it into tex/omega/lambda/, because all lambda-specific
stuff is bound *first* to the omega (or aleph) compiler, and *then*
to the lambda (or lamed) format);

-- why this directory structure is better than older texmf/omega tree?

> You say "e.g." which implies there are other files involved.  What
> are they?

I already answered that, except hyphenation patterns, I have a group
of files used to set \catcode, \lccode and \uccode for various Unicode
characters. I also think I have to modify my hyphen.cfg to make it
compatible with plain omega, so that it should be moved from
lambda/antomega to, say, tex/omega/generic/config (or, if you wish,
tex/omega/generic/antomega).

--
Regards,
Alexej Kryukov <akrioukov at newmail dot ru>

Moscow State University
Historical Faculty