[tex-live] Re: Please drop the DVI-with-pdfTeX hack!

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Wed Sep 7 19:55:57 CEST 2005

"Jonathan Fine" <J.Fine at open.ac.uk> wrote:

> Reading this, I thought perhaps it would be better to revise microtype.sty.
>
> A google search (18 hits) shows that it seems to have very few users.
> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.text.tex/search?q=microtype&start=0&hl=en&

One reason for this might be that it could only be used for pdf output
on most systems until recently.  Personally, I knew about pdfcprot for a
while (it only provides character protrusion, but not font expansion),
but I learned about microtype only a couple of months ago.

I suspect that usage of these features (be it with microtype, or with
other packages) will increase in the future.

> Perhaps the microtype tail is trying to wag the dog.

It's not only microtype, it is every package or document that tries to
access pdfTeX's additional primitives.  Now that we have decided to use
pdfTeX as our main engine, we can't say it's just our tail - it's quite
near to our heart.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster