[tex-live] Re: Please drop the DVI-with-pdfTeX hack!

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Sep 7 19:51:42 CEST 2005

    Another 'me too'.

Tell you what: if someone feels strongly enough about this to make the
change (yes, it is simple), then that is ok with me.  I don't care to
keep debating it.

For anyone who chooses to do this, my only advice is to explicitly
confirm with Volker, Hans, and Jerzy, since it was partly their concern
with this incompatibility which made pdftex-dvi.tex be used in the first
place.

    A draft for the latter

Thanks Ralf!  That is helpful.
If it is done, then I will incorporate this into the doc.

    The advantage of this change is that now packages like microtype.sty
    can be used

Actually, as I wrote, microtype.sty (or any package) could in principle
be used even with pdftex-dvi.tex enabled -- and perhaps it will even
happen.

karl