[tex-live] documentation

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Fri Oct 28 02:02:08 CEST 2005

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 01:35:30AM +0200, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>   > And how you want to solve the problem of several documentation
>   > files? One symlink can point to just *one* file.
>
> I do not claim that "mv manual.pdf hyperref.pdf" solves all problems.
> But it is better than what we have now.

You forget about hyperref.dtx --> hyperref.pdf.
Therefore I think my solution is better (see one of my previous mails).

> If there are more files, names like hyperref-example.pdf would not be
> bad.  They can be remembered easily.  But the main problem is that the
> name "manual.pdf" is not unique.

We have already "package/manual". This are not more chars
than "package-manual". But I don't know, why some versions
of texdoc understand "package/manual" and others don't.

> But the main doc file should have a name which people expext.
>
> TeXLive will be released in a few days, so we certainly will not be

I don't know about release dates.

> able to have a perfect solution, but I think that
> "mv manual.pdf hyperref.pdf" is a significant improvement.

hyperref.pdf is the document, generated from hyperref.dtx.
Thus this solution leads to confusion.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>