[tex-live] Problems with TL2005 beta

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Oct 23 02:25:33 CEST 2005

Hi Gregor,

Thanks for reporting the Windows problems.  I hope Pawel, Staszek, and
others can get them fixed.  The one thing I can answer is your last query:

    PS: Why is there now the additional texmf-dist directory (compared
    to TL2003)?

This was done in 2004.  The idea is that, in principle, texmf-dist could
be the same even among different implementations, for example, miktex
and xemtex and tex live could all share the same texmf-dist (and
texmf-doc).  While texmf/ contains the actual programs and their
configuration files.  Whether the distinction is actually worthwhile is
debatable, but that's the main reason.  (This is also briefly discussed
in the documentation.)

Best,
Karl