[tex-live] Re: License of fonts included in X.org sources

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Oct 22 03:57:15 CEST 2005

  > It may have been granted to: * the defunct MIT-based X Consortium,
  > * directly to The Open Group, * X.Org as part of TOG, * X.Org
  > Foundation.

Adobe says that it had been granted to the X Consortium.

  > All the XOF people swear that they haven't heard of it.

Did you ask on a mailing list?  That's what I would do, but if you did
already, it doesn't make much sense to ask again.

  > If it's trapped in XC, then we're stuffed.  If it's deep within
  > the annals of TOG, then they don't know about it on a surface
  > inspection, and it would take absolutely ages to find out either
  > way.  If it's within TOG-X.Org, then no-one who was around during
  > those days knows about it, so it's likely been lost.

  > See the problem?

Yes.  Can TOG be regarded as the legal successor of the X Consortium?

From

   http://www.faqs.org/faqs/x-faq/part1/section-16.html

 > Here is the text of the announcement posted by the Consortium to
 > comp.windows.x on 1 July 1996:
 >
 >      X Consortium to Transfer X Window System(tm) to The Open Group

What I mean is this (at least according to German law):

If you lease an apartment and the house is sold to someone else, the
old leasing contract is still valid.  So the new owner of the house
cannot ask for more money only because he is the new owner.

As I said, I don't know much about the legal stuff.

As a last resort, maybe Thanh can ask Adobe with whom of the X
Consortium they negotiated, maybe he can help.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25