[tex-live] pscyr fails the license test

Tigran Aivazian tigran at aivazian.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 13:59:47 CEST 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Tigran Aivazian wrote:
>
>> Namely, all I am saying, is that these "copyright" activities (though
>> may be loudly claimed to be obeyed officially etc etc) should be given
>> such low priority so as not to waste time of very talented hackers who
>> contribute to TeX Live.
>
> hacking is interesting; but without the social and legal context,
> not very useful to the bigger community.

Hmmm, I hope I misunderstood you somehow.
Because I can't imagine that I need to explain the meaning of the word
"hacker" to Sebastian Rahtz, whose fame (as a hacker) covers the earth
from one corner to the other corner thereof.

Hacker is someone who is extremely knowledgeable in computers and does
useful things (fixes Linux kernel, improves TeX, designs new fonts for
typesetting Bibles etc etc :)

So, yourself, Karl Berry, Linus Torvalds and many others are hackers. Not
to be confused with "crackers" who are defined as people less
knowledgeable in computers and whose technical abilities don't go much
further than breaking into bank computers, stealing millions of pounds,
causing nuclear wars by wreaking havoc in military computers with
naive/stupid security systems etc etc.

Obviously hackers can do as much (and more) that crackers can, but we
choose not to (not because we prefer to obey laws, but because we consider
useful things to be much more interesting than evil things :)

That's basically the main difference between hackers and crackers. Sorry
about this digression but I felt that you are making an assumption that I
use the word "hacker" in some evil/criminal sense, which I certainly do
NOT. I am a very law-abiding citizen myself :)

Kind regards
Tigran