[tex-live] pscyr fails the license test

Tigran Aivazian tigran at aivazian.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 23:00:10 CEST 2005

Hi Sebastian,

On Mon Jun 9 10:04:59 CEST 2003 Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> I have zapped the "pscyr" collection  from TeX Live, as the
> license does not permit any form of modification.
> With apologies to Cyrillic friends who may be inconvenienced.

I have just checked the license in 0.4-beta9exp2 of pscyr package and it
says:

  This collection may be distributed and/or modified under the conditions
  of the LaTeX Project Public License, either version 1.2 or any later
  version.

So, it seems to allow modifications (presumably this was not true 2.5
years ago when you wrote the above). So, shouldn't pscyr be allowed back
into TeX Live now?

More generally (and more importantly), imho, all these "license cleaning"
things I see happening, should NOT be done for several reasons:

a) like with the above example, one day the license may seem unfriendly to
you but in the next day [or year] the author may come back to his senses
and realize that everyone should have every right to do ANYTHING he likes
with his work as long as no freedoms are taken away (and if they are taken
away then the original author should be compensated as much as he demands)

b) if people always respected "licenses" and obeyed the so-called
"copyright laws" then no good things/products would have ever been created
(but this is just my personal opinion --- some may be hypocritical enough
to disagree and claim that they always obey the laws :)

Kind regards
Tigran