[tex-live] Velthuis Devanagari on TL

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Oct 18 23:57:54 CEST 2005

Hi,
  >>> it is planned to prepare an instalation script which will replace
  >>> the package in an existing TeX installation
  >>
  >> That sounds fraught with possibilities for problems.  May I
  >> suggest simply packaging the release as a texmf tree, the way
  >> Reinhard has done with vntex, etc.?  That makes it simple for
  >> users to install (they just unpack in texmf-local), and also to
  >> see what goes where (since you already put everything in the
  >> right place).
  >>
  > I am thinking of users who already have some version from TL in
  > texmf-dist and want to install a new version from CVS which has
  > traditionally different directory structure. Simple unpacking to
  > texmf-local might eventually cause problems, e.g. updmap will
  > complain that there are two files dvng.map. The installation
  > script should replace the existing installation in texmf-dist or,
  > if it does not exist, put it to texmf-local. The locations will be
  > found by kpsewhich. Of course, for TL I'll just prepare the
  > package to be unpacked to texmf-dist.

when I started maintaining vntex, it already had been packaged as a
TDS compliant tree.  So it was quite obvious to import it into the SVN
repository accordingly.

I must say that I'm very happy about it because it makes everything
very easy.  All I have to do is to check out the files to some
directory and add this directory to $TEXMF (it has to be before
$TEXMFMAIN).

There had never been problems with updmap or the like.  I had been
testing with teTeX-3.0, TL-2004 and some snapshots from current TL.
There had been no need to change anything in the distributions or to
remove files from older versions of vntex.

The big advantage of having a TDS compliant structure in the
repository is that you can add the working copy to $TEXMF and
whenever you change a file you can test it immediately.

>From the experience I have made I think that it is quite reliable to
tell users who want to install a new version of vntex on a system
which already provides an old one to create a dir "texmf-vntex",
unpack the zip files there, make sure that the content of this
directory is found first, and updmap --{dis,en}able...

Of course, I thought about writing a script which removes old vntex
stuff, but it seems that it is not necessary.  And I cannot remove
files from a TeXLive CD anyway.

It is probably quite inconvenient to change the directory structure in
a CVS repository, but it is certainly worth the trouble.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25