[tex-live] PDF and PS output files bigger with TL2005?

Daniel Flipo daniel.flipo at univ-lille1.fr
Tue Oct 18 10:07:52 CEST 2005

Hans Hagen a ecrit le 17.10.2005 10:31:

>> Can anybody explain what happened that makes output files
>> significantly bigger with TL2005? pdftex 1.30 compared to 1.21?
>> I have check that all fonts are type1 (no .pk included).
>

> - does this involve embedded documents (if so, the problem can be in
> using latin modern in the main doc and computer modern in embedded ones
> i.e. non optimal map files)
> - what is the compression level? set \pdfcompresslevel=9 for both tests
> - run \pdffonts and see if more fonts are used; maybe (when latin modern
> is used) less fake ones are used (reusing other fonts)
> - actually, the latest versions (an coming ones) of pdftex should be
> more efficient (less redundant cm's)
> - also, try to run with \pdfcompresslevel=0 and take a look at the files
> with an editor it may help to nail down the differences

The increase of size is due to the updated lmodern fonts.

It occurs only with lmodern fonts (recompiling the same files with
fourier produces output files of comparable sizes with TL2004 and
TL2005). Actually, the lm*.pfb files are bigger this year:
lmr10.pfb has grown from 77410 to 106666 bytes for instance.

Quality has to be paid in terms of file size, I guess...

Daniel Flipo                             Daniel.Flipo at univ-lille1.fr
UFR de Mathématiques -- Bâtiment M2      Tél : (33/0) 3 20 43 67 75
Université des Sciences et Technologies  http://daniel.flipo.free.fr
F-59655 Villeneuve d'Ascq Cedex  France