[tex-live] remove texmf-dist/aliases?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat May 28 22:32:06 CEST 2005

Hans suggested cleaning up the texmf-dist/aliases file.  The attempted
hyphenation aliases and other context-related entries have caused
trouble and confusion for him and context users.

Also, it seems some of the entries are obsolete; for example,
blackdvi.tex is already installed as both blackdvi.tex and blackdvi.sty
(two real files), so there's no reason for the entry in the aliases
file, as far as I can see.  (Ditto colordvi, epsf, rotate.)

Also, some of the so-called "real" files don't actually exist.  I've
removed those, since they can't possibly be doing any good:
czhyph2e.tex
dkhyphen.tex
etex-man.pdf
nehyph2.tex
nehyphx.tex
omega-manual.pdf
letterspacing.tex
pdftexman.pdf
skhyph2e.tex
sphyph.tex
sphyph.tex
ushyph1.tex

I guess having the aliases for Y&Y and URW font names is potentially
useful (although I remain a bit skeptical), so I won't yet suggest
removing the file completely.

Reactions?

Thanks,
karl