[tex-live] Proposal for a tex-base package

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu May 19 09:44:15 CEST 2005

Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:

>Can we please get away from the practice of putting stuff in /usr/sbin
>and /etc, in favor of a location like /usr/local/sbin and
>/usr/local/share/etc

Regardless of anything else, this thread relates to Debian.
The TeX tail cannot wag the Debian dog in regard to
conventions about file systems and directory names....

>Networked computers today are the NORM, not the exception, even in an
>increasing number of home computing environments.  It is long past the
>time when the notion of one-user == one-machine applies, and software
>should be packaged so that it can be installed once per architecture
>for binaries, and just once per site for text files, and then run on
>all systems belonging to that architecture and installation.

I would have said the trend was the opposite. That
we are going back to 1 user=1 machine, and to one copy of the software
on each machine.  Networked user files, yes, but applications duplicated
locally is what I see. Maybe I move in different circles...

--
Sebastian Rahtz

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk