[tex-live] June freeze?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat May 21 19:46:03 CEST 2005

Well, back in March Sebastian suggested a code freeze at the end of
April.  That didn't happen, but how about if we shoot for three weeks or
so, Sunday June 12?

Then we can try to do some compiling (architecture builders, please
note) and testing over the next couple weeks, final freeze, doc updates,
and release by the beginning of August.

There are already worthwhile pdftex and metapost updates.  It would be
ok if there is no new kpathsea/web2c release -- that would certainly
simplify rebuilds :).  Olaf, can you advise, please?

Thanks to Pavel and Staszek, we will at least have a command-line
Windows installer.  Whether we'll have a GUI Windows installer remains
to be seen; a volunteer is working on it, but I'm not sure if it'll be
ready.  I'm also still not clear about where new pdftex/metapost Windows
binaries for TL will come from.  Fabrice, do you have them for xemtex
anyway, that we could just drop them in?

As far as I know there are (thankfully) no plans for new paths or any
other incompatible changes.  If anyone knows differently, please say so.
This also means doc updates should be quite small.

I am working on the many package updates from CTAN, etc.

Thanks,