[tex-live] bakoma removal

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed May 18 15:45:57 CEST 2005

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> writes:

> On Mit, 18 Mai 2005, David Kastrup wrote:
>> > (BTW, I hate licences discussions, now I have to copy them out of
>> > the tress, put them into the local texmf tree, ... grrr)
>>
>> Well, you would not want to get caught pirating software now, would
>> you?  For something as widely distributed as TeXlive?  The civilized
>> countries make atrocities like that punishable with similar penalties
>> as for manslaughter and rape by now.
>
> I thought it is because the fonts are *not for sale*, i.e. we --
> those who prepare texlive -- are not allowed to sell it.

Well, and are not the TeXlive CDs parts of membership benefits?  And
is not money paid for those memberships?  "Sale" is an exchange of
consideration, and you can't bypass the law by making "if you give me
a present, I give you a present" arrangements.  If it were, we would
have lots of "Buy this box of matches for only $50, and get a free
font CD with Acrobat Reader and AFPL GhostScript and other goodies as
a present" offers on the internet.  Or even "Buy this overprized GPLed
Linux CD and get a free CD with Acrobat Reader and AFPL GhostScript
and similar stuff as a present".

You can make a personal copy and give it to a friend.  But as soon as
this starts into something organized, there will be an angle in it
that can, when in doubt, considered an exchange of value.

> If someone prepares an image for sale, they have to be removed, but
> not for free redistribution, or am I wrong?

What is "free" in this world?