[tex-live] Proposal for a tex-base package

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed May 18 11:45:27 CEST 2005

On Die, 17 Mai 2005, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
> I am not sure what you are trying to do. It would seem logical to
> place a regular texmf tree with configuration files under /etc, and
> maybe put the generated files in another tree e.g. under /var/lib.
> The texmf.cnf from the teTeX sources provides for this.
>
> Are the above files some sort of meta-configuration files? Then I
> take it that your proposed update-scripts translate them to regular
> configuration files and run Thomas' scripts afterwards, and tie in
> with dpkg-reconfigure too. Or am I getting it all wrong? Since I

YOu are right. It is all about packaging. If I install my tex system all
alone, ok, but most people cannot do this.

And then, if you have new packages installed adding new fonts/languages
the respective configuration files should be updated automatically,
without user intervention, AND, if the user decides to intervene then
these changes should be preserved during upgrade.

So yes, it is for those who want to make apt-get update & apt-get
upgrade without caring for all the configuratin stuff.

Best wishes

Norbert

sip:preining at at43.tuwien.ac.at                             +43 (0) 59966-690018