[tex-live] Re: Proposal for a tex-base package

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed May 18 10:52:37 CEST 2005

On Die, 17 Mai 2005, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > Proposal for a tex-base package
> > This package should include the basic infrastructure for managing TeX
> > systems on debian installations.
>
> Before you go into details, please could you outline your idea of how
> TeX and friends will work in Debian?  What would the packages be, and
> how would they work together?
>
> My presumption - correct me if I'm wrong - is that you'd have
> something like the tetex-* packages as the basis of the TeX system and

No, I am talking about packaging texlive for debian. Some time ago
Frank, Sebastian and I had a bit of discussion how to go on with this.
The idea is that you can choose either tetex or texlive for installation
but the configuration is managed the same way.

I want discuss the advantages/disadvantages of having another tex
package for debian here, it has been done.

> then other packages on top of those which depend on them, say
> containing various packages from TeX Live or from CTAN.  But I think
> you're thinking something slightly different?

But: one advantage: It would be possible to install texlive packages
missing in tetex wihtout any problems. texlive is much more split up
into smaller units than tetex.

Best wishes

Norbert

sip:preining at at43.tuwien.ac.at                             +43 (0) 59966-690018