[tex-live] Re: Problem with pdflatex/includegraphics

John Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Mar 1 11:33:58 CET 2005

> The command pdflatex(1) from TeXLive 2003 works as expected on Linux
> with:
>
> $ cat article.tex
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{graphics}
> \begin{document}
> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.
> \includegraphics{utc}
> Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit.
> \end{document}
> $ ls
> article.tex utc.png
> $ file utc.png
> utc.png: PNG image data, 400 x 250, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced
> $
>
> but the pdflatex(1) from TeXLive 2004 goes awry:

I should have mailed before now to say that upgrading from PDFTeX 1.20
to 1.21a fixes the problem with the particular PNG file I had being
recognised. What I did was (where $TEXLIVE is the root of our TeXLive
tree):

$ unzip pdftex-$VERSION.zip
$ cd pdftex-$VERSION
$ ./Build
$ cd build/texk/web2c
$ cp pdfetex pdfxtex $TEXLIVE/bin/i386-linux
$ cp pdfetex.pool pdfxtex.pool $TEXLIVE/texmf/web2c
$ PATH=$TEXLIVE/bin/i386-linux:$PATH; export PATH
$ fmtutil --byfmt pdftex
$ fmtutil --byfmt pdflatex

I hope that this is correct and sufficient, but don't know for sure.

Many thanks to Karl and to Martin Schröder for their assistance.

John A. Murdie
Department of Computer Science
University of York