[tex-live] Re: Proposal for a tex-base package

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Fri Jun 10 19:52:29 CEST 2005

Dear Frank!

On Don, 19 Mai 2005, Frank Küster wrote:

> >> Again a README would be sufficient, right?
> >
> > Again the same as with update-texmf, which checks for this or a similar
> > file. I would put it all the initial comments withotu anything else.
>
> We can also change update-texmf.  The purpose of the check, after all,
> is to ensure that some formats are available at all.  So we should
> rather check whether there's either a real tetex.cnf from teTeX, or a
> texlive.cnf from texlive - or how ever they will be called.

I have now checked the differences between tetex-texmf.cnf and texlive
texmf.cnf.

I would say there is nothing which prevents us from putting the whole
texmf.cnf stuff into the tex-common package. What do you think?

There are *really* minor diffs, the most important one is probably the
one between
tetex:
TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/map//;$TEXMF/dvips//

texlive:
TEXFONTMAPS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/map/{$progname,pdftex,dvips,}//

TeXlive contains a comment for this:
% font name map files.  This isn't just fonts/map// because ConTeXt
% wants support for having files with the same name in the different
% subdirs.  Maybe if the programs ever get unified to accepting the same
% map file syntax the definition can be simplified again.

So I guess this will make into tetex, too.

other differences:
(1. always tetex, 2. always texlive)

ENCFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/enc//;$TEXMF/dvips//
ENCFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/enc//

only in texlive:
OSFONTDIR = /please/set/osfontdir/in/the/environment

OPENTYPEFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/opentype//
OPENTYPEFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/opentype//;$OSFONTDIR//

the following one is strange in tetex, what shoud /usr/etc contain?
MIMELIBDIR = /usr/etc                   (in tetex???!?! /usr/etc???)
MIMELIBDIR = $SELFAUTOPARENT/etc

MAILCAPLIBDIR = /usr/etc
MAILCAPLIBDIR = $SELFAUTOPARENT/etc

only in texlive, will go away for the debian package, as all the doc
files go to /usr/share/doc/texlive-package/...
TEXMFDOCDIR = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-doc/doc

TEXDOCS = .;$TEXMF/doc//
TEXDOCS = .;$TEXMF/doc//;$TEXMFDOCDIR//
(irrelevant, see above)

More interesting is the mem size differences:
(again 1. tetex, 2. texlive)
main_memory = 1000000
main_memory = 1500000

font_mem_size = 500000
font_mem_size = 1000000

param_size = 5000
param_size = 10000

stack_size = 1500
stack_size = 5000

ocp_buf_size = 20000
ocp_buf_size = 500000

And then, the following things are only in texlive, don't know what they
are used for ;-)
main_memory.mf          = 800000
main_memory.mpost       = 1000000
pool_size.mpost         = 500000
main_memory.metafun     = 2500000
pool_size.metafun       = 1000000

TEXINPUTS.elambda       = .;$TEXMF/tex/{lambda,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.eomega        = .;$TEXMF/tex/{plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.pdfxmex       = .;$TEXMF/tex/{mex,plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.frpdflatex    = .;$TEXMF/tex/{french,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.frpdftex      = .;$TEXMF/tex/{french,plain,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.xmltex        = .;$TEXMF/tex/{xmltex,latex,generic,}//
TEXINPUTS.pdfxmltex     = .;$TEXMF/tex/{xmltex,latex,generic,}//

% XeTeX
OTFFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/otf/{xetex,}//
TTF2TFMINPUTS =                 .;$TEXMF/ttf2pk//

% For bibtex8. Do we really need to repeat the BIBINPUTS setting?
BIBINPUTS.bibtex8 =             .;$TEXMF/bibtex/{bib,}//
BSTINPUTS.bibtex8 =             .;$TEXMF/bibtex/{bst,csf,}//

% allow for compressed files, and various extenions
TEXDOCSSUFFIX   = ;.pdf;.ps;.dvi;.html;.txt;.tex
TEXDOCSCOMPRESS = ;.gz;.bz2;.zip;.Z
TEXDOCEXT       = {$TEXDOCSSUFFIX}{$TEXDOCSCOMPRESS}

%% t4ht utility, sharing files with TeX4ht
TEX4HTFONTSET=alias,iso8859
TEX4HTINPUTS = .;$TEXMF/tex4ht/base//;$TEXMF/tex4ht/ht-fonts/{$TEX4HTFONTSET}//

Well, thats for the differences between texlive and tetex texmf.cnf.

IMHO there is nothing we cannot sort out so that at the end we arrive at
a texmf.cnf stuff which is in tex-common package, e.g. already your
texmf.d/ scripts.

More to come, as I have now a chroot sid with the tetex-3.0 packages ;-)

Best wishes

Norbert

sip:preining at at43.tuwien.ac.at                             +43 (0) 59966-690018