[tex-live] tl default installation dir

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jun 4 14:37:09 CEST 2005

            /usr/local/texlive/2005, /usr/local/texlive/2006,

Hmm.  Maybe.  I've never tried that, and it's never been recommended,
although I see the logic.  I suggested /usr/local/texlive2005 because
that is what has been recommended in the doc (by me :).  Do others have
strong feelings?

I don't think clutter in /usr/local is a strong argument; one release a
year (if we're lucky), and older trees could always be (re)moved if
desired.

The main thing I want to do is make the default be something other than
/usr/TeX.  Whether it is /usr/local/texlive2005 or
/usr/local/texlive/2005, I don't feel as strongly about.

	/usr/local/share/texlive/2005, /usr/local/share/texlive/2006,

Here I cannot agree.  The GNU meaning of /share is for
architecture-independent data files.  Precisely because TL includes
binaries, I don't think it should go under share.  Following the GNU
directory meanings precisely would mean an entirely different
distribution, and we're not going to do that.

Thanks,
karl