[tex-live] dvipdfmx

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Jun 3 15:39:12 CEST 2005

    i have no idea if dvipdfm is actively maintained;

Not any more, as far as I can tell.  The last release was in 2001.
(Not as bad as some others :)

    there probably is a good reason for the new name

I suspect Cho could have just taken over maintenance of dvipdfm without
creating a new package, but maybe I am wrong.  Doesn't matter now.

    one problem may be that in asia people are already very accustomed
    to the 'x'; i would not be surprised if there are more 'mx' users
    than 'm' users

Sure.  I'm saying it should be installed as *both* names.

    dvipdf is a script in Ghostscript which uses gs's pdfwrite.

Ah, so I see.  Interesting.  gs just took over that name; there was an
original C program (unrelated to gs) released by that name, as I recall.
That's where dvipdfm came from: started with dvipdf and instead of
taking over the package, made up a new name.