[tex-live] Re: debian packages ready

Frank Küster frank at debian.org
Tue Jul 19 09:28:24 CEST 2005

David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:

> The preview styles are a required part for ps4pdf and a few other
> things.  I think they should definitely be part of the normal TeXlive
> tree (as opposed to the Elisp and other Emacs support stuff in
> preview-latex/AUCTeX).  AUCTeX's next version will come with ways to
> use corresponding styles in the Emacs tree instead, so I think that
> the problem of reconciling versions can be left to the basic operating
> system vendor/packager.
>
> It does not seem like a good idea to leave out the preview styles from
> TeXlive just on the hunch that the operating system might also provide
> preview-latex in an unnecessarily conflicting manner.

I don't think we were talking about leaving them out from TeXlive
proper, but from the Debian package texlive-latexextra.  We can still do
that, and have the packages that provide ps4pdf and friends Depend: on
preview-latex-style.  But since this might produce incompatibilities if
the versions differ, it's probably best to have everything
(preview-latex and texlive-"ps4pdf") depend on "preview-latex-style |
texlive-previewlatex" and add the required versions when necessary.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich