[tex-live] language.dat handling in Debian (was: Help sought: debian/texlive configuration/interaction with tex-common)

Frank Küster frank at debian.org
Mon Jul 18 13:47:42 CEST 2005

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> * What are the essential things we have to do, and how?

[...]
> - language.dat, fmtutil.cfg
> 	Until now I haven't though about them, sorry. Ideas?

language.dat is indeed a problem.  Up to now, there were no packages
providing hyphenation patterns besides tetex-base.  We have now a
request from a packager who wants to provide additional patterns:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-tetex-maint/2005/07/msg00115.html

So one solution would be to extend the update-foo mechanism to
language.dat and have an /etc/texmf/hyphen.d/.  Ivan, are you just
trying to package the bulgarian patterns for local usage, or is it about
a different set of patterns?

Norbert, please remind us of the structuring of language support in
tex-live:  Will there be separate packages for most of the languages, so
that one cannot tell which patterns are available without actually
checking whether they are installed?  Or are the patterns installed in a
base installation?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster