[tex-live] bad TFM files in TeXLive!

Jörg Knappen knappen at uni-mainz.de
Fri Jul 1 19:28:48 CEST 2005

On the sizes of the tfm files:

I generated them on OpenVMS. The most widely TeX implementation on VMS
(DECUS TeX) required the tfm file size to be a multiple of 256, therefore
VMS METAFONT pads the tfm files with the canoncical end bytes. That's the
reason why the tfm files on UNIX or Windows systems are usually shorter.

I will not change this feature since it does not harm other users.

I consider correcting the font encoding scheme (I wonder why METAFONT
generates happily tfm files which are BAD by the standards of tftopl).

Yours,

J"org Knappen