[tex-live] [de.comp.text.tex] Re: hfoldsty und microtype - font problem

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Sat Aug 27 22:22:49 CEST 2005

On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 07:36:59PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> So here's somebody complaining exactly the other way round:

> > This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Package microtype Warning: You don't seem to be using pdftex.
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ouch!

> | Sorry, but what kind of rubbish is this?  In order to stay compatible to
> | hacks that were never correct, new hacks are introduced, so that now you
> | need yet an other hack to reliably find out whether pdftex is used?  O
> | my.  Am I supposed to test for \normalpdftexversion additionally, or what?

Reading this makes me feel good that I have not followed this
pdftex-dvi.tex in teTeX-3.0. Frank, thanks a lot for passing this report
to us. Maybe, TL 2005 should also stop using these "new hacks" now!?

Well, I know that arguing about issues like this can be very
disappointing. So, I won't argue about it. Someone else has to decide
about it.

Thomas