[tex-live] TeX performance over the years going downhill

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Aug 27 10:20:51 CEST 2005

I have been busy trying to get some performance measurements for TeX so
I could see if the Mac Intel version I have performs OK compared to teh
Mac powerpc version. So, I created a very small initial test (which
runs the cration of pdflatex.fmt for 10 times in a row with output to
/dev/null) to see if there were basic differences at
file/filesystem/etc level.

The results I got were weird. Mostly they were in line with the single
CPU integer speed of the hardware, but some testers reported times that
seemed blazingly fast compared to others. First, the suspicion was that
the OS version was to blame. But it turned out that a very large part
of the performance development was just TeX itself.

As one person reported (for 10 times "fmtutil --byfmt pdflatex" on a
system for the rest completely equal):

> TeXlive 7 (2002)
>
> $ pdftex --version
> pdfTeX (Web2C 7.3.7x) 3.14159-1.00b-pretest-20020211
> kpathsea version 3.3.7
>
>       28.06 real        18.31 user         4.61 sys

> TeXlive 2003
>
> $ pdftex --version
> pdfTeX (Web2C 7.5.2) 3.141592-1.11a
> kpathsea version 3.5.2
>
>       32.32 real        25.01 user         5.30 sys

> TeXlive 2004
>
> $ pdftex --version
> pdfeTeX 3.141592-1.20b-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
> kpathsea version 3.5.3
>
>       56.57 real        45.47 user         7.46 sys

And I have seen more reports corroborating this. Let me stress: apart
from TeX, this system is completely the same. Sometimes people report
that their older TeX is about twice as fast as the newer. The big
difference seems to have been with some web2c release, probably the one
where most binaries were folded into pdfetex.

My personal idea is that first we need some sort of reliable test for
an *installed* TeX. That is, a test that uses local binaries, local
pool files, but that for the rest is independent of what is or is not
on the system (search differences, size of texmf tree differences,
language setting differences, font differences, etc).