[tex-live] Re: cm-super for Debian, problems with tetex

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Sat Aug 27 00:29:25 CEST 2005

Karl Berry wrote:
>     They are in required; shouldn't they be in basics?
>
> Why?

I think that statement by Frank is a bit difficult to understand without
a bit of context: The current teTeX setup in Debian has the bug that you
can install LaTeX (in tetex-base) without PSNFSS (in tetex-extra), which
is a required part of LaTeX. So there are discussions about how to
reorganize the teTeX packages. One of the paradigms being not to
separate metrics from fonts.

AFAIK the situation in TeX Live is even more complicated:
collection-latex includes PSNFSS, as it has to be. The LW35 fonts from
URW are in fontsrecommended. I am not sure where the actual font metrics
from PSNFSS are, as without metrics both PSNFSS and the fonts are a bit
pointless. But then, most will install fonts_recommended_ after all.
However, other fonts needed by PSNFSS are in fontsextra (charter and
fpl) or mathextra (pazo), where mathpazo.sty is the right way of using
Palatino with PSNFSS.

I guess there is no simple way to split a TeX system ... :-(

cheerio
ralf