[tex-live] Omega and the recent changes in TDS

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Mon Aug 22 18:20:08 CEST 2005

> > TeX syntax should not be there. Maybe, something that you should
> > discuss with the Omega developers or Olaf Weber.
>
> Well, discussing anything with the Omega developers certainly makes no
> sense, because they absolutely don't care about their users.

But, you can ask on tex-k or Olaf Weber directly about a solution for
your problem.

> Hence the problem. Yes, there are special directories for most
> (engine,format) pairs, but no directories for files which are
> related with a specific engine rather than with a specific

Maybe, we can just use
  tex/<engine>/<package>
instead of the old
  <engine>/generic/<package>
scheme.

(Karl: it might make sense to extend the TDS for this -- explicitly
allow tex/<engine> in addition to tex/<format>).

At least, we have all files which are accessed by the same API
(kpse_tex_format) in one directory inside the texmf tree ($TEXMF/tex).
This was the main problem which was "solved" be omitting the top-level
<engine> directories.

> BTW, I am wondering why plain omega (unlike lambda) even hasn't
> its own directory in the search path (i. e. something like
> texmf/tex/plainomega).

There is no need for a separate search path, aslong as there are no
conflicting files. That might be the reason.

> I just don't understand why I have to put into a format-specific
> directory something that really is only engine-specific.

Good point.

> Of course, but this doesn't make them useful for tex (they are probably

Look at it at the API level. omega and tex use the same implementation
for finding files for \input.

Thomas