[tex-live] XGrabServer

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Aug 21 13:41:05 CEST 2005

On Aug 20, 2005, at 3:47 PM, Vladimir Volovich wrote:

>>>  - you could run the link command with copy/paste and add the link
>>> commands directly from your shell
>>>
>>> - you could edit the generated Makefile
>>>
>>> This kind of troubleshooting is not what automake is for...
>>>

>  GW> I know, but the point is that the next time I resync with the p4
>  GW> repository and reconfigure, my Makefile is overwritten. I
>  GW> therefore need a solution that is in the p4 repository, not one
>  GW> that is overwritten every time I update the sources and thus that
>  GW> adds to my maintenance complexity.
>
> this (adding --trace-symbol options to the linker) is not a solution
> to that problem - it is a debug measure which is intended to debug the
> problem which you have.
>
> therefore it is a one-time-only thing which may help to understand
> what is going wrong in your setup. it does not need to be put into p4
> repository.

What is happening is understood.

I changed Makefile like this:

*** Makefile.org        Sun Aug 21 13:38:48 2005
--- Makefile    Sun Aug 21 13:37:04 2005
***************
*** 296,300 ****

   xdvi-xaw.bin: $(kpathsea) $(objects) $(LIBT1DEP) $(LIBGUIDEP)
!       $(kpathsea_link) $(objects) $(LIBGUI) $(x_link) $(LOADLIBES)

   squeeze.o: squeeze.c
--- 296,300 ----

   xdvi-xaw.bin: $(kpathsea) $(objects) $(LIBT1DEP) $(LIBGUIDEP)
!       $(kpathsea_link) $(objects) $(LIBGUI) $(x_link) -Wl,-
u,_XGrabServer -Wl,-u,_XUngrabServer $(LOADLIBES)

   squeeze.o: squeeze.c

I have to use -u because that is what my ld wants.

A real solution would have this fixed in xdvik such that the order of
X11 libs is correct for non shared libraries.