[tex-live] simplifying installation of user-licensed fonts

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Aug 13 01:06:42 CEST 2005

A number of interesting fonts are only available under licenses which
allow users to install them (with no charge or restriction), but which
do not permit modification and/or free redistribution, so we don't
include them in TL.

The main ones I know about are garamond and lettergothic from GhostPCL,
Utopia, and LuxiMono.  All these packages (including pfb's) are on CTAN.

What I'm wondering is if someone would like to write a script or make a
distribution of these fonts, so that users can easily add them.  I think
they should end up installed in $TEXMFLOCAL (by default).  The map files
are probably the main complication, that is, adding the relevant entries
to updmap.cfg (and rerunning updmap).

Any takers?

Thanks,
Karl