[tex-live] Typesetting short passages in Greek

Gavin McCullagh gavin at celt.dias.ie
Tue Apr 19 18:27:39 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Giuseppe Castellacci wrote:

> I actually managed to solve my problem in a wholly different way.
> In truth, my ultimate goal was to typeset a document in LaTeX that
> used Times New Roman fonts with very few short passages in Ancient
> Greek. I was able to accomplish this thanks to the insertion of a few
> directives (copied below, in case someone else is interested)
> in the preamble as suggested by Apostolos Syropoulos

I am trying to do the same and came across a similar problem.

> \usepackage[greek,american]{babel}
> \usepackage{times}
> \def\textgreek#1{{\fontencoding{LGR}\fontfamily{cmr}\selectfont
> \def\encodingdefault{LGR}#1}}

I was doing:

\RequirePackage{times}
\RequirePackage[polutonikogreek,english]{babel}

and then using \textgreek{.....} within the text.  It always worked in
texlive 7 but not in texlive2004 (see the error below).

The above solution, which appears to just use the CMR equivalent does solve
the problem up to a point, but I thought there was a different greek font
which matched times.  Either way, I'd have thought the babel package with
the greek option would work while using times but it appears not to.  Does
anyone know what's wrong here?

Gavin

====================================
(/export/shared/texlive_versions/texlive2004/texmf-dist/tex/latex/tipa/t3ptm.fd
)

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T3/ptm/m/it' in size <10> not available
(Font)              Font shape `T3/ptm/m/sl' tried instead on input line
16.

(/export/shared/texlive_versions/texlive2004/texmf-dist/tex/latex/grtimes/lgrpt
m.fd)kpathsea: Running mktextfm grtm10
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode;
input grtm10
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.3)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf grtm10
! I can't find file `grtm10'.
<*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input grtm10

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input grtm10

Transcript written on mfput.log.
grep: grtm10.log: No such file or directory
mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input
grtm10' failed to make grtm10.tfm.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

! Font LGR/ptm/m/n/10=grtm10 at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not foun
d.
<to be read again>
                   relax
l.17 \textgreek{b'asis}
                       . Thus our noun would have escaped transfer to an Ita...