[tex-live] TeX Live -- Latest Version and Licensing

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Sep 30 15:47:04 CEST 2004

Dear Mr. Hauerwas!

On Don, 30 Sep 2004, Adam Hauerwas wrote:
> In checking the downloadable images at ftp://tug.org/texlive/Images/
> it looks as though there were some test-burns this morning (named
> "test-texlive2004-live-20040930.iso", e.g.).  Am I to infer from this
> that the 2004 distribution is due out soon?

Out soon, yes, but how soon is not specified. THe binaries are not
completely rebuild, but AFAIK i386-linux, solaris, alpha-linux, and
win32 (???) builds are uptodate.

> licensing, my understanding is that TeXLive is available under the GPL

In fact all the programs and packages available on TeXlive have to be
licensed under a Debian approved license.

> -- and as such, am I free to install that on lab machines on my
> college campus for student use (as long as the source code is made
> available)?

Yes, definitely! The source code of the binaries are included in tar.gz
on the cdroms.

Best wishes

Norbert

Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at>         Technische Universität Wien
WINSTON-SALEM (n.)
A person in a restaurant who suggest to their companions that they
should split the cost of the meal equally, and then orders two packets
of cigarettes on the bill.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff