[tex-live] Re: Re: Re: Aleph versioning

Giuseppe Bilotta bilotta78 at hotpop.com
Fri Sep 3 12:02:14 CEST 2004

Olaf Weber wrote:
> Hans Hagen writes:
> > Olaf Weber wrote:

> >> I'd rather not mess with the e-TeX soucres myself, so I'll contact
> >> Peter about that.
>
> > Talking about version numbers and revisions, is there a reason why
>
> > \eTeXrevision has a period in it, like .2
>
> I'll just note that for e-TeX 2.1 the value was ".1".  So likely a
> carryover from that.
>
> > Hardly useful, that period (well, it means that one can test for
>
> >   \ifnum\eTeXversion\eTeXrevision pt>2.2pt
>
> > or
>
> >   \ifnum\eTeXrevision pt>.2pt
>
> > but in that case \eTeXversion could have been 2.2 -)
>
> Go forth and complain to Peter.
>
> > A consistent versioning system among etex pdftex aleph etc would make
> > sense

To solve the (in)compatibilities between Omega and e-TeX in the
versioning system, Aleph comes with a whole BUNCH of version
primitives:

\OmegaVersion returns the string 1.15
\AlephVersion returns the string 0-rc3

\eTeXversion returns the *number* 2
\Omegaversion returns the *number* 1
\Alephversion returns the *number* 0

\eTeXminorversion returns the *number* 1
\Omegaminorversion returns the *number* 15
\Alephminorversion returns the *number* 0

\eTeXrevision returns the string .1
\Omegarevision returns the string .15
\Alephrevision returns the string rc3

Note that this doesn't break backwards compatibility with any
of Omega or e-TeX, so we may want to ask Peter to add
eTeXminorversion to eTeX?

IIRC, it is also consistent with version numbers in pdf-TeX.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

Can't you see
It all makes perfect sense