[tex-live] TL build and missing files?

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Oct 10 21:12:44 CEST 2004

After a TL 2004 build (make install), the texmf directory has:

> $ ls texmf/web2c/
> aleph.pool      mktexdir        mktexupd        pdfetex.pool
> texmf.cnf
> fmtutil.cnf     mktexdir.opt    mp.pool         pdfxtex.pool
> mf.pool         mktexnam        omega.pool      tex-pl.pool
> mktex.opt       mktexnam.opt    pdfetex-pl.pool tex.pool

This makes fmtutil warn because cp227.tcx is missing

warning: Could not open char translation file `cp227.tcx'.

I started looking for that file and found it in Master

> ls texmf/web2c
> aleph.pool      cp8bit.tcx      macce-pl.tcx    mktexnam
> pdfxtex.pool
> amiga-pl.tcx    fmtutil.cnf     macce-t1.tcx    mktexnam.opt
> tcvn-t5.tcx
> cp1250cs.tcx    il1-t1.tcx      maz-pl.tcx      mktexupd
> tex-pl.pool
> cp1250pl.tcx    il2-cs.tcx      mf.pool         mp.pool
> tex.pool
> cp1250t1.tcx    il2-pl.tcx      mktex.cnf       natural.tcx
> texmf.cnf
> cp227.tcx       il2-t1.tcx      mktex.opt       omega.pool
> updmap.cfg
> cp852-cs.tcx    kam-cs.tcx      mktexdir        pdfetex-pl.pool
> viscii-t5.tcx
> cp852-pl.tcx    kam-t1.tcx      mktexdir.opt    pdfetex.pool

Now, I think the idea was that texmf-dist contains the packages and
stuff, while texmf contains the stuff installed by a make install. It
seems to me that the stuff in Master is not 'pure' in that it is not
only stuff that has been created with make install? How did the *.tcx
files get there?

If I use TL in combination with a separately created texmf-dist (which
I do) I expect those .tcx files to be installed with 'make install' or
if they are not closely related to the program (as the .pool files are)
then I would expect them to be part of texmf-dist (and thus also
teTeX-texmf).