[tex-live] Build fails for FreeBSD 4.10

Manfred Lotz manfred at dante.de
Sat Oct 2 09:53:03 CEST 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 13:59:46 -0400
karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

>     However, I also could use the Linux binaries on FreeBSD.
>
> Interesting.  The BSD kernel is system-call-compatible with the Linux
> kernel?  I'm amazed and impressed.

Yes, *BSD provides binary compatibility for Linux. I cannot judge for
OpenBSD or NetBSD but in case of FreeBSD it means you can run some
80-90% of Linux binaries under FreeBSD without problems.

> Perhaps there's no need for these binaries, then.  Does anyone think
> we need them?  But anyway, in the alternative ...
>
>     But even if I 'touch Makefile.in' the error persists.
>
> Did you rerun configure?

I reran Build:
test ! -f Makefile || make clean
rm -rf Work
find . -name config.cache -print -exec rm -f {} \;
H=`pwd`
mkdir Work; cd Work
../configure --prefix=$H --datadir=$H &&
make world

> If you did, another possibility is to run gmake instead of make.
> Maybe it's some other strange difference there.

I changed make to gmake in Build and reran. Same problem as before.

> My further idea is to add an am--refresh: target (that does nothing)
> to texinfo/Makefile.in and texinfo/Makefile.  Automake does not really
> need to get rerun here.  I don't understand why it thinks it needs to.

I found that the problem doesn't seem to be the target am--refresh. The
problem is that there is a cd .. && make am--refresh

After cd .. the current diretory is one level above utils. There is no
Makefile in utils/..

--
Manfred