[tex-live] Is this a real PNG/pdfTeX error in TL2004? Or Mac OS Xonly?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Nov 16 16:16:06 CET 2004

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>>Uh what?  The pdfcprot package is in pretty common use
>>
> how common? how do you quantify it?

It is commonly referred to in the Usenet groups I frequent, and I use
it myself commonly in production-quality work.  This includes setups
for which the customer has installed TeXlive.

>>and is probably the most important reason in the first place that
>>TeXlive and teTeX have changed to use the pdftex executable also for
>>"normal" LaTeX.
>>
> really? my memory must be at fault...

So what does your memory say why this change was made?

>>With all due respect, but you are quite off kilter with your
>>reasoning here, Sebastian.
>>
> quite likely :-}
>
> but still, is it wise to recompile now? how serious are the bugs
> fixed?

Pass.  I just wanted to state that if your above reason was the only
one to live with a possibly broken pdfTeX, I would consider it quite
dubious.

I can't say anything about other possibly valid reasons.