[tex-live] Is this a real PNG/pdfTeX error in TL2004? Or Mac OS Xonly?

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Nov 16 15:51:04 CET 2004

Oh well, I can adapt easily enough when it does change.

I do suggest (as I have done earlier) a 3-tier source release
1. A source freeze in a tar.bz2 which accompanies the iso image (if the 
image not already contains the sources, I have not checked this)
2. source, the directory with a stable release. This may change over 
the year and stuff goes in there when source.development is considered 
to contain a stable release.
3. source.development, the work directory

Adapting source over the year (just as Master is maintained) gives 
redistributors like me the possibility to have a more finegrained 
*stable* release policy.

In short: I am advocating a 'source' directory upgrade policy where it 
contains a stable situation (but with updates since the last CD 
release) whereas source.development does not need to be stable.


On 16 Nov 2004, at 15:35, Karl Berry wrote:

>     I am in favour of getting Thanh's last fixes
> Oh, I'm in favor "in theory", but it's not a simple patch + recompile.
> From what I gather from Martin, there is a pdftex beta cycle to go
> through before it will be released.  We cannot wait for that indefinite
> period (certainly weeks, probably months).
> And I'm really not in favor of just slamming in a beta libpng library
> (let alone a whole new pdftex source) at the last second.
> No release is ever perfect, and there's always going to be another one 
> ...

More information about the tex-live mailing list