[tex-live] CVS for texlive

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon May 24 22:54:33 CEST 2004

> Have you considered Subversion instead of CVS (
> http://subversion.tigris.org/)? (I'm only just getting started with
> Subversion myself, but people I know who have tried it consider it more
> elegant in use than CVS.)

I think the point is that TL/TUG does not want to host
its own repository; if it did, it might well be Subversion-based.
What we want is to use the resources of somewhere like Sourceforge
or Sarovar, which provide the infrastructure of project
development; CVS or SVN is just one part of this. Although
Sourceforge made noises about SVN, I don't think they are near
changing yet.

I'd not want to choose a host solely on the basis that they
offered SVN, though it would be an interesting factor.

FWIW, we use Subversion in my day job. It does its thang
well enough; and the name is way cool.

Sebastian