[tex-live] CVS for texlive

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon May 24 17:57:06 CEST 2004

Hi John,

    Have you considered Subversion instead of CVS (

Yes.

    Subversion myself, but people I know who have tried it consider it more
    elegant in use than CVS.)

There are technical pros and cons to every source control system,
including p4, subversion, cvs, arch, etc., etc., etc.

In my mind, the overriding advantage of cvs is that almost everyone
knows it.  One of our biggest problems with TL, if not the biggest, is
that there are very very few developers doing virtually all of the work,
and using anything but cvs is a big barrier to entry.  (Yes, I know that
mostly you just do "svn command" instead of "cvs command". Nevertheless.)

    My apologies if I've overlooked a discussion of a prior instance of this
    suggestion.

Several, actually :).  No big deal, and I'm sure we'll have to revisit
this whole discussion at least ten more times, but for now, please,
let's focus on getting 2004 closer to release.

Thanks,